Our Dogs' History of Adverse Drug Reactions (Part V)

Continued from part IV

Jasmine's first Winter.

Regardless of how Jasmine's last days played out, she needed those meds. They were supposed to help her. There was no way of knowing what was going to follow. I was concerned about the steroids, but there was no doubt she needed them. I was extremely concerned about the nasty antibiotics, but the one we used was the most gentle of the available bunch. The morphine was perhaps the last straw, but she was in extreme pain ...

Did I become more cautious?

I couldn't get more conservative with medicating my dogs because I have been extremely conservative already.


Every time I might need to medicate my dog I consider other options first. If drugs are deemed unnecessary, the vet(s) and I discuss whether or not there are more than one option to choose from and which would be least likely to cause problems. Then I read the product sheet carefully to see what I might expect.

Wherever I can, I opt for a non-drug solution.


But sometimes that is either the best or the only option.

Our next negative experience was with Cookie and Advantix.


Cookie is almost always in a hunting mode.

Cookie is a hunter at heart. She's a bush dog. She will go where no man has ever gone. One time she came back from the farm with three ticks on her face.

Jasmine was a hiker and was always content exploring the world mostly walking on trails. JD was a follower and would just go whether everybody else did. Cookie, however, has to go where the critters are, which rarely involves paths or trails.

With ticks slowly taking over the world and Lyme disease and other tick-borne disease becoming a bigger and bigger concern, we had to consider how we were going to protect Cookie.

After a lot of discussion and deliberation considering efficacy and safety, we have chosen Canine Advantix.


At the time it was the best and most effective option. Plus it's supposed to also work against mosquitoes, biting flies and lice.

It is applied topically. The first time Cookie was a little bit upset as if it was making her itchy. Her reaction was mild, and we figured it might have been the sensation of the drops on her skin. It didn't last long. The next time, though, she was acting as if attacked by fire ants. She was obviously miserable, and it wasn't getting better but worse.

We quickly washed it off with dish soap, then all of her with her shampoo and rinsed and rinsed. Shortly after we got it off her, she calmed down.

I talked to the vet, and she said that sometimes it might make the skin feel numb.


Interestingly, the product label is pretty vague about that. The side effects listed are skin irritation such as redness, scratching, or other signs of discomfort. It also states that vomiting or diarrhea have been reported, and if those or other side effects such as lethargy occur to consult a veterinarian.

There was no redness or visible irritation of the skin, but there was no question we weren't going to use it again.

Not a really big deal as far as drug reactions are concerned, I suppose, though Cookie would not agree.


What would happen if we didn't know what to do or did nothing?

With any of these things, it is always a question of lesser of the evil.


But sometimes that can be really hard to determine.


Related articles:
Our Dogs' History of Adverse Drug Reactions (Part I)
Our Dogs' History of Adverse Drug Reactions (Part II)
Our Dogs' History of Adverse Drug Reactions (Part III)
Our Dog's History of Adverse Drug Reactions (Part IV)

Our Own Emergency Vet Horror (Part I)
Our Own Emergency Vet Horror (Part II)


Do you have a story to share?

Your story can help others, maybe even save a life!

What were the first signs you noticed? How did you dog get diagnosed? What treatment did/didn't work for you? What was your experience with your vet(s)? How did you cope with the challenges?

Email me, I'll be happy to hear from you.



Comments