Dog Medical Emergencies Survey: Is Difficulty Breathing an Emergency?

93.75% of you who took my survey do consider difficulty breathing and emergency. I am, however, quite concerned about the remaining 6.25%.

If your dog having difficulty breathing doesn't send you to the emergency vet, what would?

In her guest article, Dr. Coates put difficulty breathing as the first one on the list! Dr. Barchas on dogster puts it first on the list. Dr. Justine Lee, in her article on Pet Health Network, puts it first on the list.

If you had difficulty breathing, would you seek emergency care? I would.

Difficulty breathing is absolutely, most definitely, an emergency.

"... After three minutes without breathing it’s all over. If your dog is having trouble breathing, or is “breathing funny,” making alarming noises when he breathes, or is puffing his lips when he breathes, you need to get to the vet immediately."

~Dr. Eric Barchas, dogster

"Any time your dog is struggling to breathe, that's an emergency."

~Dr. Andy Roark

Related articles:
Doe Medical Emergencies Survey
Dog Medical Emergencies Survey Results
Dog Medical Emergencies Survey: Is Unproductive Retching an Emergency?
Dog Medical Emergencies Survey: Is Panting an Emergency?

When is it an Emergency?

Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog now available in paperback and Kindle. Each chapter includes notes on when it is an emergency.