Top Veterinary Articles of the Week: Understanding Anemia, Allergic Reactions and More

What Separates One Type of Cancer From Another?

What is the difference between lymphoma and leukemia? And does it matter?

We Don't See You. How Vet's Became Biased and Lost Our Clients in the Process

A thoughtful evaluation the state of veterinary medicine and a life of a veterinarian. Do you think being a vet is easy? What are the challenges vets are facing? Do you feel they owe us something because they love animals? How can we make our relationship with them and their lives better?

Red blood cells. Image Interactive Biology

Low Red Blood Cells – Understanding Anemia

Red blood cells - we know this one, right? Red cells in the blood that carry around oxygen. Pretty important cells then. And where there aren't enough of them in the blood, which is what anemia means, it's serious. How can they get lost from the blood and what can be done to fix it?

Allergic Reaction Survival Kit, the Pet Parents Guide 

Allergies - one of the modern plagues. Sometimes simply a nuisance, sometimes a serious problem and sometimes even deadly. And one never really knows what can cause a reaction. Just the other day I came back from a dog walk, feeling kind of itchy. I ignored it, wasn't going to spoil the walk because a bit of itchiness. It wasn't until we came home and I went to wash my hands that I really looked at them. They were red and didn't look right. After I checked I realized I was covered in hives. After some investigation it seems I might be allergic to "cold." Huh? Yeah, not a good thing to have living in Northern Canada, is it?

Comes to show, though, that an allergic reaction can be a combination of things. Since I don't get the hives EVERY time I get outside when it's cold.

I took some Benadryl and the hives resolved after a while. What to do when your dog gets an allergic reaction, though?

Dogs Don’t Want Carbs

I quite enjoyed reading about this study which was done to see what would dogs eat if they could choose for themselves. I'm also quite happy that somebody decided to do a study like that at all. The results don't surprise me at all.

" ... the results suggest that the target diet of dogs in our study consists of approximately 30% of energy from protein, 63% of energy from fat, and 7% of energy from carbohydrate."

The levels of energy from fat might be too high for many dogs. But I certainly hear them on the carbs.

I always wondered. We control what our dogs eat. But would that be their choice if they could decide for themselves? I believed that they would certainly not go for carbs. So now we know. Just as I suspected.

Comments