Dog Adrenal Hormones: What is the Difference between Adrenaline and Cortisol?

Recently I read a veterinary article about elevated liver enzymes in [senior] dogs. It was written from the perspective of clinical experience. Among other things, the article explained how liver enzyme elevation can be a predictor of Cushing's disease. And then it introduced what I thought was a typo--an explanation that Cushing's disease is caused by over-production of adrenaline. When I asked,, I was told that the word was used on purpose--because it is a familiar word.

Dog Adrenal Hormones: What is the Difference between Adrenaline and Cortisol?

I can see that, except I can't. I do believe in simplification--it is more important to understand concepts than terminology. But is it helpful to substitute one thing for another just because the latter is unfamiliar? I won't be the judge of that. Instead, I will try to explain the difference in simple terms.

What is adrenaline?


Adrenaline is one of the hormones produced by adrenal glands. So far so good--everybody heard of adrenaline. And adrenal glands are the glands that make it. Btw, however fancy the term might sound, it's nothing more than Latin for the gland's location--near the kidneys.

So the adrenal glands are named by their location and adrenaline was named after the glands it comes from--as far back as 1901. Except it's not the only hormone the adrenal glands make. Bummer.

What is cortisol?


By the time cortisol was getting its name, it has been discovered that the adrenal glands are not just a one-purpose chunk of an organ but that they have a distinct inner core and outer shell (cortex), each of which has a different function. So cortisol too got named by the place of its origin--the adrenal cortex. Which works because adrenaline is actually produced in the core of the gland, not the shell.

Other than where they come from, then, the names of these two hormones tell us little about what they do.

They are related in the sense that both of them get released in response to stress.

What does adrenaline do?


When adrenaline is released, it works to provide a boost to facilitate fight or flight. That includes an increase in heart rate and blood pressure, expanding air passages in the lungs, maximizing glucose metabolism, and redistributing blood to the muscles. Kind of like a turbo charge boost in a race car.


What does cortisol do?


Cortisol too is involved with response to stress--it controls the processes that provide the energy needed for the above turbo boost. In other words, adrenaline facilitates the distribution and cortisol supplies the fuel. In the process, it also suspends functions that are not a priority for immediate survival--such as the immune system or tissue maintenance. Which is great when you need to run away from a predator, as long as everything goes back to normal when the danger is over.

Cushing's disease


Adrenaline is not involved in Cushing's disease--cortisol is. With Cushing's disease, the adrenal cortex (the outer shell that produces cortisol) gets over-stimulated and produces too much. As well as too much cortisol might be introduced into the body in the form of medication.

Once in the bloodstream, the hormone doesn't know any better--it does what is supposed to do--getting everything organized for flight or fight. Except there isn't any. Processes that should be running get shut down, everything is focused on gathering fuel which is neither properly distributed or used.


If you take a look at many of the related symptoms, you can see how they all make sense in this light.


  • increased thirst and urination
  • increased hunger
  • increased panting
  • obesity
  • fat pads on the neck and shoulders
  • loss of hair
  • lack of energy
  • muscle weakness
  • infertility
  • thin skin
  • skin infections


Can you see it?

Do you like the explanation or would you be happier to just be told that Cushing's is the overproduction of adrenaline?


Related articles:
Cortisol: What Happens In A Dog’s Body When It Goes Awry?

What is your dog telling you about their health?


Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog now available in paperback and Kindle. Each chapter includes notes on when it is an emergency.

Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog is an award-winning guide to help you better understand what your dog is telling you about their health and how to best advocate for them. 

Learn how to see and how to think about changes in your dog’s appearance, habits, and behavior. Some signs that might not trigger your concern can be important indicators that your dog needs to see a veterinarian right away. Other symptoms, while hard to miss, such as diarrhea, vomiting, or limping, are easy to spot but can have a laundry list of potential causes, some of them serious or even life-threatening. 

Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog is a dog health advocacy guide 101. It covers a variety of common symptoms, including when each of them might be an emergency. 

Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog has won the following awards:

Comments

  1. So they used adrenaline rather than the more accurate term of cortisol simply because the word adrenaline is more familiar? You explained the difference very well and for me I would prefer to know the exact terms so I understand what's actually going on, whether or not I was familiar with the terminology or not!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Cortisol was replaced with adrenaline for the "sake of simplicity."

      Delete
  2. Interesting and I never knew that - I like the simple explanations as it makes my life easier to understand all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never knew about cortisol? Now you do :-) It's an important hormone to understand as it is involved in more trouble than just Cushing's

      Delete
  3. Really interesting! I also prefer to know exact terms when it comes to my girls' health. I like to know everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Cannot substitute apples for oranges when trying to teach people something.

      Delete
  4. Hmm...I agree with Ruth. I prefer simple explanations so I'm understanding and on the same page with my vet. This way I can better understand the best options for treatment for my pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in simple. But is substituting an apple for an orange simpler? I think not.

      Delete
  5. One of the reasons I try to read a lot before I do an article with a leaning towards science. I read it so I can explain more easily but NOT use a word that might (like this) possibly mislead.

    People often need help to understand things but you never talk down to them and risk confusing them. I would prefer a few challenging terms and then go and look them up online or the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dumbing people down by assuming they're already too dumb.

      Delete
  6. It seems so bizarre that the choice to use adrenaline was used. Nowadays, we all have so much information at our finger tips that it seems a lot of people would be more confused at finding contradictory information. I think many people look at more than one article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would make understanding of the problem more confusing. As well how too much adrenaline explains the mention of the meds that clearly contain cortisol?

      Delete
  7. I would rather not have things "simplified" for me, I'd rather have someone help me understand as you did. Plus the cortisol/stress hormone is discussed a lot in human health so I don't think people are as unaware as the author of the article you read seems to think. I *hate* being talked down too by the medical professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, adrenaline and cortisol are two totally different things - from reading the article you mentioned, I'd possibly be led to believe that dogs with Cushing's are in a constant sensation of being on a roller coaster. Your explanation is much better, and really not that hard to understand for the average pet owner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I knew about adrenaline, but hadn't really heard about cortisol. Thank you for the detailed explanation of the difference between the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are involved with the fight or flight response. They do perform different jobs, though.

      Delete
  10. I prefer the actual facts of the matter, not verbal simplification. My vets have never pulled any punches with me, always giving me the info direct, and sometimes in very tech terms, which they then explain to me. I prefer that. Why simplification simply because? Isn't that really misinformation? Great job in explaining the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment