Why Does Cookie Eat Mice and not Moles? My Hypothesis or You Don't Know What You Don't Know

I threw this question out there because I figured you guys could have some fun with it and maybe learn something interesting. I was also curious what you come up with.


No, I don't think it's because moles are cuter--particularly the star-nosed ones--I have the feeling these guys were the inspiration behind The Predator.

Star-nosed mole snout. Photo The National Wildlife Federation. And yes, we have these around here too.

A regular mole
A field mouse


You can be the judge of which is cuter but I don't think it's a criteria Cookie would consider.

Another suggestion was that mice might smell or taste better. From a dog's perspective it would make more sense, wouldn't it? But that brings up an important question.

Why would mice taste or smell better than moles?


That is the question. After all, they are both rodents, they both live underground ... right? We all know that, don't we? Surely we have some decent knowledge about something as basic as a mole, right?

Wrong.


A mole is NOT a rodent! And yes, I had to look it up too! My assumed knowledge was wrong.

Moles are not rodents. Both mice and moles are mammals. From there, they split each into their own order. Mice under rodents and moles under Soricomorpha or "shrew-form." Ever heard that before? Ha!

While all that is pretty exciting, why would Cookie care about that?

Mice are herbivores, and moles are omnivores.


A mole's diet constitutes mostly earthworms and insects!

You might not BE what you eat, but surely it will alter how you smell and taste.

I believe that is the solution to the puzzle.


Who has thought of that? Who is surprised? Who is shocked by how deceptive our perceived knowledge can be? I certainly was. All my life I thought I knew what moles were. Doesn't everybody? Apparently not.

Source a-z animals

What else do we THINK we know?



Comments

  1. I wonder if my Kitsune would like moles, because he's pretty obsessed with earth worms. Silly pups. A lot of people think rabbits are rodents too, but they're not either. The animal kingdom is interesting for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post. My head goes to how each of the mammals behave. How they run, hide and protect themselves. Maybe one is easier than the other or more fun to catch? You have to love that black box of why do dogs......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Cookie is an equal opportunity hunter. She only discriminates what she eats.

      Delete
  3. I have never thought about this but I would have thought that mice make it harder to catch than moles and it is the game of the hunting that would make the dogs go more for the mice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my observation and I watched plenty of hunts.

      Delete
  4. Interesting post! Now we know why Cookie prefers mice! (I also learned a lot about moles and mice.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the insight here I truly thought moles were closely related to mice. And of course didn't know moles were omnivorous. We learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people are under that impression ;-)

      Delete
  6. Hmmm. Now I’m wondering, do cats eat moles? I always thought they did, but my mother was always saying no they are voles. Like you I assumed they were all small rodents. Off to search...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this comparison of moles and mice. I think a long time ago I knew that moles weren't rodents, but I forgot that all the way. Now I'm looking up the difference between mice and voles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our Silver plays with his food * sigh * He flings mice into the air with fascinated abandon and then they try to get away and fail. It's grim nd I try to distract him if I see it happening. BUT we don't have a rodent problem even though we live near a stream.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could try rewarding/praising when he finally kills/eats the pray.

      Delete
  9. Maybe one is easier to catch than the other, and he prefers both, but can only catch the mice? Maybe the mole bit him once and he'd rather attack a weaker target?

    Maybe mice food tastes better than mole food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Moles seem slightly easier but she doesn't discriminate about what she hunts, only what she eats. Meaning she'll ea the mouse but bury the mole.

      Delete
  10. Interesting comparison between mice and moles. I do think they are both cute in their own way! My Huskies will go after anything that moves...they have such small prey drive! They, too, like Dash Kitten, will "play" with anything that crosses our yard. Fortunately, I think most critters got the memo because they we do not (thankfully) get too many visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sometimes I did think the frogs were texting each other.

      Delete
  11. HAHA! I love this post. I've never seen a mole, but they're pretty spooky. Herbivores are probably yummier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The star-nose sure looks like an alien creature, doesn't it?

      Delete
  12. That is so interesting. I thought I knew what a mole was too! Icy actually loves to hunt down moles, but I don't know whether or not she's ever tried to eat one LOL! I'll have to look out for that - I'll let you know. Thanks for sharing the mouse/mole factoids!
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do let me know what you learn regarding eating them :-)

      Delete
  13. Very interesting! I thought it may have to do with smell somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the smell would be different too given the different diet.

      Delete

Post a Comment