Thursday, July 20, 2017

Dog Medical Emergencies Survey: Is Ingestion of Grapes an Emergency?

72.97% survey participants check ingestion of grapes as being an emergency.


Grape toxicity for dogs is poorly understood in a way that nobody knows why they are toxic to them.

There are stories out there of people who insist that they give their dog the odd grape and their dogs are fine. Some dogs seem to handle that with no problems indeed.

There are people who jumped or fell from great heights and lived too. 


One man apparently even survived a 47-floor fall. The question is whether you should go and try to see if you would too.

I know I am not going to.


There are dogs that went into kidney failure after eating a single grape. Are you willing to take that chance?

I recommend always treating grape/raising ingestion as an emergency.


"If you suspect that your pet has eaten any of these fruits, please contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline, an animal poison control service, immediately. Do not waste any time. Since there are still many unknowns associated with this poisoning, it is better not to take any chances when it comes to your dog's health." ~VCA Hospitals

This toxicity includes all types of grapes. raisin bread, trail mix, cereals with raisins ... in other words, anything to do with grapes, raisins or currants.

One upside is that grapes and raisins seem to digest slowly and evacuating the stomach can be effective up to several hours after ingestion. However, I advise against trying to deal with this on your own. There are many scenarios when inducing vomiting is a bad plan and there is way more to it.


If your dog ingests grapes or raisins, do not take the chance.


Keep grapes, raisins, and currants away from your dog and if they do manage to eat some, do treat it as an emergency.



Btw, if you like conspiracy theories, check out the following video. Do you think they are onto something? Might be a valid theory.



Further reading:
Grape and raisin toxicity
Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

Related articles:
Dog Medical Emergencies Survey
Dog Medical Emergencies Survey Results
Is Unproductive Retching an Emergency?
Is Difficulty Breathing an Emergency?
Is Panting an Emergency?
Is Severe Pain an Emergency?
Is Limping an Emergency?
Is Vomiting Bile in the Morning an Emergency?
Is Profuse Vomiting an Emergency?
Are Convulsions or Seizures an Emergency?
Is Loss of Appetite an Emergency?
Is Reduced Activity an Emergency?
Is Severe Lethargy an Emergency?
Is Inability to Stand an Emergency?
Is Inability to Urinate an Emergency?
Are Cuts and Abrasions an Emergency?
Is Bleeding an Emergency?
Is Blood in Vomit an Emergency?
Is Fresh Blood in Stool an Emergency?
Is Black, Tarry Stool an Emergency?
Are Pale Gums an Emergency?
Is an Unresponsive Dog an Emergency?
Is Coughing an Emergency?
Is Choking an Emergency?
Is Head Pressing and Emergency?
Are Bug Stings an Emergency?
Are Spider or Snake Bites an Emergency?
Are Animal Bites an Emergency?
Is Ingestion of Poison an Emergency?
Is Xylitol Ingestion an Emergency?



Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog now available in paperback and Kindle. Each chapter includes notes on when it is an emergency.

14 comments

  1. Love this article, thank you!! I too treat grapes as an emergency, people don't realize the impact it has with just a single one. - Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelby; I think part of the problem is that not always it ends up badly. Like with dogs, inconsistency is where things break down.

      The main point is that a single one CAN be a disaster.

      Delete
  2. My vet knows me and my dogs very well. I'd rather throw them an extra few bucks to be on the safe side than wish after it's too late that I hadn't decided to "wait and see" what happened. Raisins or grapes missing? We're all going to the vet. Not worth the risk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put forth a great example! Sure some MAY not be injured but the reality is MOST are! Some people are too stubborn! It's sad that the pets are the ones who pay the price. I know some would say the pet owners suffer the loss of their pets too but it is deserved suffering if you ask me. Sorry to sound so mean but seriously if I even THINK something COULD be harmful for my pets I DO NOT just shrug it off and keep feeding it to them!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem is believing that it is fine. Particularly if they know somebody who got away with it.

      Delete
  4. Wow I didn't know about grapes/raisins being toxic to dogs. If I never read your post, I wouldn't think a huge deal. Thanks for this enlightening post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then the mission of the post has been accomplished. Glad you know now.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea about grapes and raisins until reading dog blogs the past couple of years. It scares me to think what we exposed our dogs to when I was growing up and they stayed outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that every first owner visit should include a small handout listing some of these things.

      Delete
  6. When we went for puppy training at PetsMart, the trainer warned everyone of the toxicity of grapes. I'm glad that the word is getting out, so that people can keep their pets happy and safe. Thanks for sharing an important subject!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, people need to know these things.

      Delete
  7. I watched the raisin toxicity video, and it makes sense to me. Theo once ate some of our grapes, so I called the vet. I had to induce vomiting, and I was glad I did. He ate a lot more grapes than I thought he had, but luckily was just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad he was fine. That's the most important thing.

      Delete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig