Peanut butter can make a delicious treat and dogs love it. I myself give it to our dogs sometimes. Until recently it was a perfectly safe thing to do.
New peanut butter products are now on the market that contain xylitol!
The list of peanut and nut butters containing xylitol seems to be rising. Xylitol is very toxic to dogs even in small quantities.
"Ingestion of as little as 0.1 gram (g) of xylitol per kilogram (kg) of body weight (0.1 g/kg) can cause a rapid and dangerous drop in a dog’s blood sugar (a condition called “hypoglycemia”). Hypoglycemia can show as staggering, appearing disoriented, collapse, weakness, and seizures. Just slightly more than that, approx. 0.5 g/kg xylitol ingestion, can lead to debilitating, and sadly often deadly, destruction of a dog’s liver cells." ~Preventive Vet
Beware and read labels carefully.
What Happens In The Dog’s Body: Xylitol Poisoning
What Is Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs? Ask Boomer!
Xylitol And The Basset Hound
Poppa’s Orbit(-al) Adventure
Keep Chewing Gum Away From Your Dog!
Is Peanut Butter Safe For Dogs? Please Beware – Some Could Be Deadly!