Top Veterinary Articles of the Week: Is It Ever OK Not to Be Nice? Why Veterinarians Lie and more ...

Is It Ever Okay to Not Be Nice?
by Dr. Joanne Intile/PetMD

The simple answer to this question is no. It's never okay not to be nice. But that begs the question what constitutes being nice? If it means kind, thoughtful and compassionate, then absolutely so—it's never okay not to be nice. If it means avoiding to voice true and honest advice, then being nice can be harmful.

Sometimes the hard truth is what one needs to hear. Sometimes one needs a kind, thoughtful and compassionate slap in the face. Most of the time, though, we should take a good look at where the other person is coming from. Life is full of choices. There are very few ultimate truths and ultimate solutions; if any.

Most of us make our choices with the best intentions. We make our choices based on our past experiences and what we believe is the right thing to do. For that, we all deserve other people being nice. Kind, thoughtful and compassionate. But sometimes we also need people to speak up when it matters.

Being nice doesn't mean letting people jump off a cliff just because we don't want to disagree with them. But sometimes it maybe means letting people jump off a cliff because we understand why they need to do it.

On the other hand, it's never okay to be nice if it means letting a dog suffer.

Read Dr. Intile's thoughts.




Three Reasons Why Veterinarians Lie
by Dr. Patty Khuly/Dolittler Blog

"Veterinarians lie. All the time. In lots of ways. We don’t necessarily mean to—except when we sometimes we do. But does this make us bad people? Bad doctors?"
~Patty Khuly

Do I want to be lied to by my vet? I don't. I don't lie to them and I want the truth from them too. I find that really important.

Do I want my vet to adore my dog? Yes, I do. If it took a little white lie, so be it. But seriously, my dog is totally adorable.

While lies? I'm down with those.

Other than that, I want my vet to be honest with me. Always. Please. If you don't know, tell me. If you're not sure, tell me. If you are sure, also tell me. If you disagree, tell me. It's about the health of my dog.

Read Dr. Khuly's thoughts.



6 Subtle Signs Your Dog Is Carsick... And the Hidden Trigger Behind It
Dr. Karen Becker/Mercola Healthy Pets

We never had a dog get carsick. We never had a dog who didn't love going for rides. Could there be a correlation?

Just like people, dogs can suffer from motion sickness. I still remember the ferry ride across the channel on my way to England. About fifteen minutes in, half of the people's faces turned green and they made a mad dash for bathrooms. I thought it was interesting how it hit all of them at the same time. I was lucky; I just had a heck of the time trying to walk anywhere without falling. The ferry is huge and you wouldn't expect it to move much. But the weather was bad and water pretty wild.

In dogs, the signs if impending evacuation of the stomach content include yawning, drooling, whining, uneasiness or listlessness.

However, in most adult dogs, carsickness can have nothing to do with the motion but rather with stress and anxiety. I can relate to that too. There was a time I could not get on a bus without getting sick. Except I already got sick before the bus even left the station. That clearly didn't have anything to do with its motion.

Check out Dr. Becker's carsickness prevention tips.

Comments