Top Veterinary Articles of the Week: Alcohol Poisoning, Poop Matters, and more ...

Alcohol poisoning in dogs

Most people know that alcohol is bad for dogs and would never give them an alcoholic drink. Even small amount of alcohol can cause life-threatening toxicity, particularly in small dogs.


Surprisingly, most alcohol poisonings have nothing to do with getting the dog drink some. The biggest danger is hiding in baked goods containing alcohol or raw yeast dough. Raw yeast dough, when ingested ferments and byproduct of this is carbon dioxide and alcohol. Not only it can cause bloat or gastric dilatation volvulus (GDV) but also alcohol poisoning at the same time.

Did you ever wonder why raw yeast dough is dangerous to dogs? Now you know why.


The Miracle cure….Poop????

I am happy to see another article from angryvet.com. They've been quiet for quite a while but now came back with an awesome article.

One of the frustrating things about medicine is that most of our focus in treating disease involves making a symptom list and then giving a list of medications to alleviate these symptoms rather than having a true “holistic” approach to treating the animal, at least in terms of my definition of a holistic approach.

Amen to that. This has been my frustration too. In this article they highlight fecal transplant therapy I wrote about earlier. In treatment of C. diff, cure rates have been greater than 90% when traditional antibiotic therapy failed.

I dogs this therapy was used to treat Clostridium perfringens. Perhaps this could be the go-to treatment for many frustrating diseases such as chronic giardiosis, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, helicobacter, and allergies. Can poop come to the rescue?


When Treating Pet's Cancer, How Much is Too Much?

There was a time when I was convinced that if my dog was diagnosed with cancer I would stick with palliative treatment only. I felt I'd never put them through the horrors of treatments such as radiation or chemotherapy.

Having learned more about dog cancer and available treatments, my view has changed. One criteria remains the same. It's not just about quantity but about quality of life. That is the priority.

How far would I go with cancer treatment for my dog? I would let the dog tell me. As far as I could while not making them miserable for no good reason.


Ease the Side Effects of Your Dog’s Cancer Treatment

What is the most suitable treatment for my dog that will provide the best outcome without causing a reduced quality of life?

There are ways to help ensure a dog will best tolerate their cancer treatment, including nutraceuticals, herbal therapy, food therapy, acupuncture, lifestyle modifications, and more.

Antioxidants and probiotics are often used to help manage side effects of chemotherapy. Acupressure, acupuncture, massage, physical rehabilitation, can promote blood flow, ease pain and reduce nausea.

Check out Dr. Mahaney's article on integrative approach to treating cancer.


When Your Dog's Poop Looks Like This, Visit Your Vet

Over time, our dogs' poop has become one of the things I pay close attention to. Poop can provide all kinds of useful information about my dog's health and GI status. Color, texture, consistency, presence of mucus, blood, parasites, food particles or non-edible items are all important aspects to evaluate.

I already wrote about diarrhea but check out Dr. Karen Becker's take on the subject with photos.

Comments