Friday, July 10, 2015

Veterinary Highlights: Short-term High Dose Antibiotic Treatment for Uncomplicated UTI in Dogs?

The standard protocol for treating urinary tract infections (UTIs) in dogs is 14-day course of Amoxicillin, a penicillin antibiotic.

That is what Jasmine got when she got her first UTI as well.

New research seems to indicate that dogs might do just as well on the same regime as people, which involves high dose of enrofloxacin (Baytril) given over three days.

A study that compared the two treatments showed little difference in cure rates in the two groups of dogs.

Is it better to get long-term low dose or short-term high dose? I think that probably depends. But shorter regime might result in better compliance if anything else. One of the biggest problems with antibiotic treatments is not finishing the treatment as prescribed.

And if my dog was to have an upset stomach from the treatment, I'd rather for it to be just for three days than for two weeks. And if your dog hates taking medication? This could be Godsent.

Which treatment I would use for my dog? Since I don't have this decision on my plate right now, I don't know. But I would certainly discuss the pros and cons of the two options.

The ideal choice of treatment will depend on the individual dog but it's good to be aware of all options.

Source article:
Treating UTIs in Dogs Quickly

Further reading:
Enrofloxacin for Canine UTIs
Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of high dose short duration enrofloxacin treatment regimen for uncomplicated urinary tract infections in dogs.


  1. I'm a big fan of Baytril but unfortunately we usually can't afford it due to the dose needed for our dogs.

    1. That costly, is it? Would it be even for the short-term intensive treatment as described above?