Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wordless Wednesday: Making of the "Bonemeal"

Some time back I posted about what we often use for Kong stuffing but didn't include any photos of the process. So here they are. This time its made from slow-cooked left-over turkey carcass.

Waste not, want not. Nothing gets wasted from a turkey. Slow-cooked until tender,
these babies are ready.

I always like to include some veggies in the mix. I just steam those,
no need to cook the living daylights out of veggies.

Just like my grandmother's grinder. Hard work but easy to clean and never breaks.

Down she goes.

Out she comes. Our dogs love this.

5 comments

  1. I can imagine they love that. I never thought of doing that before with the bones. I guess you probably have to cut the bigger bones up first in order to get them into the grinder. It sounds like a good arm muscle workout too! I may have to invest in one of those hand grinders or maybe an attachment for the KitchenAid mixer would work. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once slow-cooked long enough, they grind up quite well. They take about 12 hours of slow-cooking minimum (depending on the bones).

      Delete
  2. Very cool - and good for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Our dogs love it and makes superb Kong filling or pill disguise. .

      Delete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig