Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pet Blogger Challenge 2015

You will hardly even catch me writing or talking about myself. But once a year, thanks to Go Pet Friendly, I make an exception and join in the Pet Blogger Challenge.

My mission is one and the same that it's always been.

Helping other dogs with my experience and gathered knowledge. I'll never stop wishing I knew then what I know how when Jasmine started having health problems. But perhaps what I've learned can help somebody else.

This really answers any questions about my blogging, but here it goes, one question at a time.


1. How long have you been blogging? And, for anyone stopping by for the first time, please give us a quick description of what your blog is about.
I actually had to look that one up. Turns out I started blogging in December of 2009. Wow, time flies, doesn't it?

My blog is about dog health issues and dog health advocacy. I might throw in some other dog-related content but this is the core of my blog.

2. Tell us one thing that you accomplished on your blog during 2014 that made you proud.
Here it is again, the pride question. I don't get proud, I get happy when my blog helps somebody. If anything would make me proud it would be when a veterinarian shares or compliments my post.
I am quite proud to host an awesome series on dog physical therapy, written by Susan Davis, author of Physical Therapy And Rehabilitation For Animals: A Guide For The Consumer.

3. What lessons have you learned this year – from other blogs, or through your own experience – that could help us all with our own blogs?
Frankly, I just keep chugging along, writing about what I feel needs to get written about, not worrying about SEO and all that stuff. I say what I have to say, that's it. In a way that seems to be working.

4. What have you found to be the most successful way to bring traffic to your blog, other than by writing great content?
I couldn't say. I've been very busy with work, writing and Jasmine's protege, Cookie, and didn't have time left to watch these things. I know I should, and maybe one day when I have time left I will.

5. What was your most popular blog post this year? Did it surprise you that it was your most popular?
The most sought out articles were those on symptoms to watch for in our dogs. All the symptoms articles have been proof-read by a vet. I do actually plan to consolidate all that into a book.

6. What was your favorite blog post to write this year? 
I do love writing the medical articles, even though they are the most work.
7. Has your policy on product reviews and/or giveaways changed this year?
I haven't done much of that. With one exception I only review things that we have been using and thing they're awesome.

8. What’s your best piece of advice for other bloggers?
Have something to say and say it. To me, that's what it's all about.

9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2015?
Having a bit more time for it. But that's not really a goal, it's more of a wish. Since I don't generate income from my blog, I have only the time I can spare. I would love to generate some income from my blogging but I'm very fussy about things I'd endorse. For me, the best solution would be having a single sponsor. But it has to be one who's product I can fully stand behind.

10. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one challenge you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
What we all need the most? Traffic. Considering the little time I put in actually getting any, I'm not doing too badly. But not well enough for an awesome sponsor. Some more comments on my posts would be great too.

20 comments

  1. I think that's awesome you are writing to help people with dog issues. People always need good quality info. Great answers to all the questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Our experience came at great price; hopefully others can save themselves the money and the grief if I share it.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your answers to the challenge questions. I did this challenge too, and it was a bit difficult to answer some of them. All the best to you in the new year, and thank you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne, all the best to you too.

      Delete
  3. Not to forget, over the years your blog has become such a valuable resource for everything health-related. When you take a step back and look at it all ... now THAT's something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, team Kenzo. I am always happy when it helps somebody.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you're on the right track if your symptoms posts are your most popular post. Sounds like everyone is really looking for the information you have to offer. And that your book will definitely fill a need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. Yes, seems there is a demand for this type of information.

      Delete
  5. OMG....a picture of you Jana. I don't think I have every seen your face! Ha, ha. And what a dog tongue that is. I haven't been visiting blogs often but I am part of your dog health group on Facebook. I really appreciate all of the helpful, accurate information that you provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica; yeah, I don't like having my pictures taken, let alone showing them to anybody :-)

      I'm always happy when I can help another dog.

      Delete
  6. Your blog is a wonderful resource for pet parents. The things you have written here must be so helpful to parents in need.

    I still love going back and reading old posts about beautiful Jasmine. Precious girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina. Jasmine was one and only and will forever remain with us and in my work.

      Delete
  7. I have to tell you....your blog is one of the first places I come when I'm looking to find out more information on a certain health topic. Your ACL articles are awesome and contain some great links. Your ear articles too! Of course I've always loved reading about Jasmine and now Cookie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen, I'm quite humbled by that.

      Delete
  8. Okay, I'm going through your Symptoms to look for post as my dogs do some of these things. I know what some of the symptoms mean, but I'm sure I might be missing something. Now that my dogs are entering their senior years I have to keep a closer eye on things.

    I could use an awesome sponsor as well :) Our current top traffic source is from search engines. Solving problems in blog posts seems to draw the most traffic to our blog.

    Good luck in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview, feel like I know so much more about you now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on another year of blogging. Your blog is one I think provides a real service to pet owners. It's funny how our pets inspire us to do something with our grief and possibly help someone else with what we've learned. Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jana, and thanks for participating in the Challenge! Add me to that list of people wishing for more time - there just never seem to be enough hours in the day.

    My best advice for getting more traffic is to look at your social media platforms. I'm finding Pinterest to be a really good source of traffic. And even though Facebook is making it harder to reach people, there are still so many people hanging out there, I think it's a good place to invest some time. I hope you and Cookie have a great 2015!

    ReplyDelete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig