Friday, November 25, 2011

Veterinary Highlights: Liquid Brachytherapy

Liquid Brachytherapy is cutting-edge surgery that involves injection of radioactive cancer-fighting isotopes directly into a tumor.

Texas A&M used this technique to treat osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in a dog for whom amputation was not an option.

What I like about this idea is that it is highly targeted and precise.

Instead of external radiation, the radiation is delivered directly into the tumor, which reduces exposure of healthy tissue. This technique also allows for higher doses of localized radiation than a typical radiation treatment.

I think that this makes it more effective option, likely with fewer negative effects.

Original article: One lucky dog: Cancer treatment saves pooch's leg

Further reading:
Veterinary Brachytherapy


  1. Hi Jana

    great I found this it is so interesting and full of knowledge, never had a dog for 40yrs, and rescued a French Mastiff, now 12 months old. Had cruciate repair a wk ago, only trouble I have is stopping her from playing, and now if she see's a bird she wants to pounce. She was so disapplined before, never went for birds not interested, anything she see's she just wants to play I feel so cruel. Anything her stitches come out tomorrow , Saturday, she still has a limp after walking, but after paying 3k for her op, all your excercises I was not informed to do and I am now going to do but really annoyed I was told. She is 40k still limps a little but had her checked yesterday she has a little fluid, is this normal? I have changed her route for walks as she knows our regular as our time to play and run and have fun, oh its so hard as she was abused and it took me 4 months of one on one to rebuild her she was a shaking Scooby do. What would you recommend for her 2nd week stage, please I don't want her to suffer again, also is the limp normal, and when will she put all her weight on her foot, it still seems a bit flighty? sorry I am a newbie and never heard of all this before.

    1. Limping a week after surgery is normal; the tissues need to heal. You do need to do your best for her not to jump. You vet SHOULD give you a detailed post op plan; please ask for it or demand it if needed be. He should also explain to you what you can expect during the recovery.

      Some fluid after surgery is possible, do keep an eye on it with your vet.