Friday, October 28, 2011

Veterinary Highlights: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Vaccine

A new vaccine has been discovered to be effective against non-hodgkin’s lymphoma for dogs. It is the first veterinary cancer vaccine of its kind that shows an increase in survival time.

The results indicate that immunotherapy and rescue chemotherapy appear to act synergistically to prevent a second relapse.

This topic is of special interest to me for a number of reasons. One of them being that Jasmine's best friend, a Boxer, died from lymphoma almost exactly three years ago.

He was undergoing chemotherapy but it was making him so sick that his owners couldn't watch him suffer that way. (Apparently dramatic side-effects of chemotherapy in dogs are supposed to be rare … well, he was certainly the exception).

Already back then I was trying to research immunotherapy options but there was very little to go on.

I never understood why pumping an already diseased body with poison is the best idea anybody could come up with. I always felt that finding a way to engage the immune system to fight the disease makes the most sense.

I am very happy to see this type of research is being done.

What is even more exciting to me, is that this is not the first cancer vaccine for dogs I'm reading about. I believe this kind of research is a very exciting and hopeful direction.

Original article: Efficacy of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Vaccine Demonstrated in Dogs

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig