Jasmine's Oddysey Update

Thank you again to all our dear friends who helped us to get through the tough times. We are truly thankful with all our hearts!

We couldn't have done it without you!

We were at the point where we had to decide whether to buy groceries or see a vet.

Of course, that didn't mean that Jasmine's health challenges ended, but it helped us to get through.

The antibiotics Jasmine was getting helped with her skin infection but were upsetting her stomach. At that time we couldn't have switched to bathing and topical treatment only, because her legs were sore and we didn't want her going up and down the stairs and jumping in and out of the tub.

She was still having problems with the leg muscles.

Fortunately, in the meantime, her legs got better and we were eventually able to stop the medication and stick with topical treatments only.

The infection had resolved and we are now noticing little fuzz on the bald areas!

So it seems that the fur will grow back after all.

Jasmine did have one more infection after that, fortunately only a minor one. I noticed a bump on her chest which also seemed sensitive to touch.

(Don't you just love finding bumps on your dog?)

Luckily it was just a nipple infection.

Her vet cleaned it up and topical treatment was all that was needed. The question still remains, however, whether she might have scratched it going through the woods or whether it might be a hormonal thing.

Other nipples looked ok and we are keeping an eye on things.

We also ran the thyroid panel, but the results are not conclusive.

In the meantime, Jasmine received two IV stem cell treatments to help out her immune system and we are hoping that it might get her skin back on track.

So far it is looking good. Vet-Stem was really wonderful to us, and also provided some financial support for the ongoing treatment of one of their favorite patients and one of their most fervent advocates!

One obvious result of our efforts is that Jasmine is really charged up and full of life.

So much so that it gets scary at times ... I think we won't ever be able to stop worrying about her.

For a good reason too. At the end of January her episodes came back with a vengeance. It does seem that weather is a contributing factor somehow.

When I looked back through my records I also found that the worst time she had the year before that was beginning of February.

This lasted about a week and quieted down again.

That, together with the infections brings us back to investigating potential hormone issues. 

Sex hormones are on the list, but some side effects of such treatment might be more that we might want to face.

Cushing's was on and off the table few times but it is not a diagnosis we want and it really doesn't seem to be the issue.

Of course to mix things up, couple weeks back Jasmine scared me with signs of substantial pain.

In fact, I've never seen her in so much pain, except maybe after the hyperthermia horror. She had a terrible time even switching from lying on her side to lying upright. She was panting as if whimpering silently, with her back legs kicking. I almost had a heart attack.

Of course if was Friday afternoon (these things always seem to pick a weekend). 

Suspecting a spine issue I kept trying to call her chiropractor but had no luck getting anybody on the phone.

When hubby came home I insisted that we have to try to go anyway, that somebody ought to be there.

Well, we had no such luck, she left for Ottawa and wasn't going to be back until Tuesday. We wanted to avoid the emergency vet if we could, because our last experience with the was not positive at all.

I managed to get hold of her TCVM vet who was still there and they took her in. It was her neck that was so sore. She got a cold laser therapy and cervical herbal formula.

On Saturday morning we called her main vet and got some more Tramadol also.

Fortunately, as horrible as this was, it was also short-lived and by Sunday her neck was feeling quite good and by Monday it was as if it never happened.

On Tuesday we did go to see the chiropractor anyway, but she couldn't find any problem any more. That was a big relief.

In efforts to get to the bottom of Jasmine's episodes, I also ended up consulting an animal communicator. Yeah, I know, wacky, isn't it?

The thing is though, that I would never forgive myself if I didn't try EVERYTHING.

It was an idea that was on my mind for some time, but felt a bit too far-fetched. However, when Dr. Kay brought up the idea to me also, it was the last push to go through with it.

The consultation was definitely interesting and a lot of what she said made sense in the light of what I have observed.

It provided some pointers to pursue with her chiropractor and TCVM.

I also have to point out that I did send my notes from the consulation to Jasmine's main vet, asking him to take the information at a face value. Yet again he amazed me as that was exactly what he did.

I can't ever express how wonderful he is and how thankful we are that we have found him.

So still a lot of things to do. Hopefully, we can be spared of any new surprises for a while now, so we can focus on the chronic issues.

The main thing, as always, is, that Jasmine is loving her life and she is not giving up. And neither can we.

Related articles:
Meet Jasmine
Helping Jasmine
Rant About Quality Of Life Versus Quantity, And Differential Diagnoses
Jasmine Is Headed For Her Next Stem Cell Treatment
Jasmine's Stem Cells Are In
I'm Still Standing! (Happy Birthday, Jasmine)
Jasmine is Vet-Stem's poster child!
Our Journey to TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine)

Comments

  1. Wow, January was a busy month for your household. Sorry to hear about the big scares, but I am glad that she is over the infections.

    As far as the animal communicator and "out there" approaches, you never know what you will do or try until you are in the situation. I completely understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laci, actually January wasn't any different from any other month ... looks different written out I guess.

    Luckily Jasmine's been better last two weeks, probably because I'm sick instead :p

    re: communicator
    Yes, you never know. What she said doesn't really show a clear diagnosis but it does add up in a way. Plus the biggest regret are the things that one has not tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable when you see it all listed out. Taking care of Jasmine is a fulltime job. Glad you came of these hurdles once more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is, isn't it? And that was just one month.

    Really hoping that one sick member of the pack will be enough (which is presently me) and that Jasmine might get a break for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so stressful... I hope that Jasmine is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that Jasmine is better - and on vacation from health issues at the current point in time. =]

    I can't imagine being you, with all the things poor Jasmine goes through. It has to be so much stress on you guys, too.

    I would have tried the animal communicator. If it was an option I could afford and could maybe help a smidgen or even just make me or the dog feel better, I'd do it. Besides, as skeptical as I am, I don't know. Maybe they know something we don't.

    In any case, I'm sorry that you and Jasmine had to go through all of that, especially over a weekend!! Ugh.

    And I hope JD is also doing well. =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. JJ, the communicator isn't actually all that expensive, $70/30 minutes, which is often enough.

    I am skeptical too, but I am also skeptical about truths written in stone. So just because it's odd, doesn't mean it's not real.

    Either way, wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't try EVERYTHING.

    J.D. is always well. Except his brain, as he doesn't seem to have one :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment