Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pet Blogger Challenge: The Motivation Behind My Blog

1. When did you begin your blog?

Dawg Business actually just had a one year anniversary recently! I posted my first article on December 14, 2009. It was a review of the FURminator—I know!

I kept trying to come up with something profound enough to be worthy of the first post and it only resulted in me not posting anything. So to take the plunge I resolved to writing the first thing that came to mind. But hey, it is a great product!

There is a lesson in that though. If you want to start something, just start it. Waiting for the right moment, right idea ... might just end up with you not doing anything!

2. What was the original purpose for starting a blog?

My original purpose is my only purpose - saving the world one dog at the time.

Jasmine has gone through so many health challenges and I do believe that many of these could have been avoided if we  knew better. But there were too many things we didn't know then!

I started blogging to share what we learned in hopes that it might help other owners to be better equipped to prevent and to deal with health challenges their dogs might be facing. If my blog could prevent just one dog from suffering, it had fulfilled its purpose.

3. Is your current purpose the same?

Yes, helping owners and dogs is and will remain the purpose of this blog.

I am very happy to see that people are finding the information and support they're looking for.

4. Do you blog on a schedule or as the spirit moves you?

I did read couple materials about blogging and learned that solid schedule is important. I did well so far posting regularly. When the spirit does move me I'll write the article but post it within my set schedule.

5. Are you generating income from you blog?

No, I haven't so far. I do hope to put some e-books together in the future and it would be nice if they generated some income. I do not monetize because I want to have full control about what my blog might be promoting. I wouldn't feel comfortable advertising something I cannot stand behind.

6. What do you like most about blogging in general and your blog in particular (bragging is good!)?

I love it when dogs get helped through my blogging. I love when people share their stories about health challenges they've gone through with their dogs. I believe that real life stories help to get the message across best.

I love how many wonderful people I have met and I love having wonderful veterinarian friends participating with their guest posts.

7. What do you like least?

The pressure I often feel as I feel responsible for every word I put out there.

8. How do you see your blog changing or growing in 2011?

Unless my readers have suggestions about what they would like changed or improved I think the blog works the way it is. I'd love if more owners shared their stories and I'd love if my veterinarian friends continued to guest post with me.

Real life experiences usually come at a great cost. Sharing those experiences is invaluable. That is Jasmine's legacy and it can be your dog's legacy also.

Jana

25 comments

  1. This is one of those blogs where the purpose just stands out. I am following your blog since we got Viva and after meeting you on Twitter, and she is one of those dogs that have benefited from this blog! She is one of the many others you helped.It is the connection with real life stories from Jasmine and others that makes this blog so special.

    Glad you are continuing with your blog the way it is. And about the schedule. That's just like you, you make it sound so simple again. A lot of people (including yours truly) are fighting the question: schedule? or blog when it comes?. But actually we are fighting against the "publish" button. Nobody said a schedule ment you had to do the writing on schedule, just the publishing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenzo, thank you for the kind words. Yes, I am very happy that Viva is one of the dogs who benefited from my blogging!

    I wish I could save them all.

    Well, schedule, apparently the blogging gurus believe that both readers and search engines like regular schedule. Me, not so much. But nothing wrong with discipline :-)

    But you're right, you can write any time you want, just publish on schedule. When out of town I like to have posts prepped and auto-scheduled when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana - really great post. I enjoyed reading about your reasons for and thoughts on blogging. The blog is great as is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Y'all,

    I have nothing to add to Kenzo's remarks, or to the thoughtful answers to the Challenge questions.

    Just wanted to let you know, my Human and I follow you from her Home Page so we don't miss an "issue".

    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only found your blog recently and so have a lot of catching up to do. I think what you are doing here is so invaluable and I am pretty sure you have helped me already. We have been lucky enough to have avoided encountering any real health issues but I know it may not always be this way. It's very comforting to know there are places like your blog that will be there for support and information.

    I feel more knowledgeable already, just for clicking the link on my reader. So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed! Just jumping in is the best way to go. We learn as we need and sometimes that means trial by fire. The good news is that nobody in this amazing pet blogger community seems too judgmental.

    That said, I'm glad you have no big changes coming this year. I think your blog is perfect just the way it is. Although adding those e-Books might be nice. I hope you do it simply for the satisfaction of sharing your amazing wealth of knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Pup Fan. This was a good idea, letting the pet bloggers get to know each other better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hawk, thank you so much, it means a lot to me me that you find my blog useful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristine, that is a huge compliment and validation of my blogging! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, thank you so much. The e-books will be consolidated, more detail information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Jana!
    While some of our opinions on vet treatments aren't always the same, I love to read your blog! I think that it is a wealth of information for owners seeking information regarding dog health. All the things that I have learned from you about ACl injuries and Dog Arthritis are just amazing. But the best thing about your blog is that I have made a new friend (I know, kinda' sappy for me :P)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Karen.

    I think difference in opinions and the ability to discuss those is important. I don't think that anything is really written in stone in medicine, I have seen iron theories come and go. It seems it all just work in progress.

    Everybody's convictions stem from their past experiences, that's what makes them unique. Considering things from different angles and points of view is important.

    I'm glad you found some of the info useful.

    Making friends is very important, I am very thankful for that also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking part in the challenge, Jana! I too am glad you took the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great answers! I'd love for you to check out our blog at www.PetBlogsUnited.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Edie, it was a great idea and helps us to get to know each other better too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. "If you want to start something, just start it. Waiting for the right moment, right idea ... might just end up with you not doing anything!"

    Truer words have never been written. I struggle every day with this problem, not just in blogging, but in all areas of my life. I am what you would call a "discouraged perfectionist". That is, if I fear I can't do something perfectly, I do nothing at all. Ughhh. Blogging is helping me overcome this though!

    It was wonderful to read your challenge responses and I look forward to reading more of your blog in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, sorry I'm so late here but I'm still going through the blogs in the challenge!

    I like your blog a lot. It has a great purpose. With a sickly dog like rufus in our family, your blog is such a useful one for me to follow. And even though georgia is young yet, we never know when we might need the kind of information you put here. So GREAT WORK Jana!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Angel, well, I think that Michael Jackson said it before me "Wanna Be Starting Something" :-)

    But I definitely went through that process.

    Discouraged perfectionist, I love that and I think I fall into that category too. (has to do with the way I was brought up) But I found that my mission was more important to me than whether not I get it perfect (thought I still obsess about accuracy and have all medical articles vetted)

    It was great meeting you and I am looking forward to reading your blog also.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Georgia,

    never too late, I know what you mean, I didn't manage to go through all of the blogs yet either :-)

    (((hugs))) to you, Rufus and Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I appreciate your motivations, as I share many of them through my own blogging activity. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Vicky, nice to meet you too! I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! I'm fascinated by your blog...can't wait to read more of it! Would you believe, I did one on the Furminator early on, too?! lol It was the same for me, though - dive in or forever hold your peace:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Cindy, wow, thank you for your kind words! :-)

    Yeah, I'd believe that, it is a great grooming tool. That's cute that we have that in common, blogging about it early on :-)

    I am looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jana, the closing line of your Q&A will stay with me: "Real life experiences usually come at a great cost. Sharing those experiences is invaluable. That is Jasmine's legacy and it can be your dog's legacy also."

    Thanks very much for that inspiration. I was recently introduced to your blog through reading Dr. Nancy Kay and I will most definitely be reading from now on.

    -Chandra at Daley's Dog Years

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Chandra, thank you for reading my blog! If you do have a story to share, please do let me know.

    ReplyDelete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig