Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Review: Am I Boring My Dog?

Am I Boring My Dog? And 99 Other Things Every Dog Wishes You Knew
by Edie Jarolim

I wanted to read this book the moment I saw the title! I have been involved in publishing for years now and I know a fantastic title when I see one. What the title implies is that this book is fun and that it offers an answer to a question many of us might have spent few sleepless night wondering about. Am I boring my dog?

I was not disappointed! This book does indeed combine great information with fantastic, fun and easy-to-read style.

Of course Am I Boring My Dog? is just one of the 100 questions Edie answers in her book. Should you get a dog? Should you get a mixed breed or a purebred? How to take care of him when you do get one—you will find it all. This book is organized in a way that it's easy to quickly find an answer you're looking for but it is written in such a way that you can also sit down and read it cover to cover (that's what I did).

I couldn't count how many dog books I've read by now. What I find amazing about Am I Boring My Dog? is that Edie managed to present so much great information in such fun, non-threatening manner. It doesn't matter whether you know nothing about dogs at all or had dogs all your life. In Am I Boring My Dog? you will find something you didn't know and you will enjoy reading it.

Edie Jarolim shares her own experiences with her first dog Frankie and the research she'd done for our benefit. Her book covers all aspects of dog ownership from A to Z.


Edie Jarolim earned a Ph.D. in English literature from New York University; edited guidebooks at Frommer's and Fodor's in New York and Rough Guides in London; published myriad travel articles and three travel guides (Frommer's San Antonio and Austin; The Complete Idiot's Travel Guide to Mexico's Beach Resorts; Arizona for Dummies); and generally led a respectable but dogless life until 2004, when she began palling around with terriers -- specifically, one small terrier mix named Frankie.

Cluelessness about dogs in general and Frankie in particular inspired her to begin reading up on all things canine and, eventually, to write AM I BORING MY DOG: And 99 Other Things Every Dog Wishes You Knew (Alpha/Penguin, 2009). She lives in Tucson, Arizona, where she is the Pet Travel Correspondent for KVOA TV, the Contributing Dining Editor of Tucson Guide, and blogger at She devotes much of the rest of her time to keeping Frankie from becoming bored.

For more information, see


  1. Jana, thanks so much for your thoughtful review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

  2. I think I'm going to have to get Edie's book! I've been wanting to, but I had no idea it had so much in it! As for Edie's writing style - I think she is so successful because she presents things in a way that is non-threatening. Any dog owner can read what she writes and not be intimidated or feel like they are asking a stupid question. Thanks for reviewing!

  3. Yeah, there is a lot of information in Edie's book. You should definitely read it! :-)

  4. I was on the fence about this book, but thanks to this article, I am excited about reading it.